Some Stones Unturned

Knitting, Biking and Some Sober Second Thoughts

Enfin, Vendredi d’Achèvement: $5 in Paris

$5 in Paris

Completed $5 in Paris

$5 in Paris

A little closer, you can see that it’s a bit lumpy and weird, but in a way, aren’t we all a bit lumpy and weird? In a way.

Pattern: $5 in Paris by Anna Peck-Maliszewski

Yarn: Knitpicks Brava Worsted, 425 yards Tidepool and 316 yards Eggplant

Size: 40″ bust, 32″ waist, 24″ long, with longer sleeves than pattern (~16″ along outer edge from shoulder).

A few more pictures and then I will get into my way-too-long modifications section.

$5 in Paris from the side

From the side

$5 in Paris from the back

From the back

$5 in Paris off the shoulder

Wearing it off the shoulder

Modifications: I got way too fiddly with things just because I was worried about it not fitting and kept doubting myself. Also, I knit a big chunk of it on a plane and on vacation where it wasn’t really convenient to keep track of things in Ravelry, so my notes were scratched onto the back of an envelope (literally) and since I didn’t get around to weaving in the ends for a over a month, I’m not sure I quite remember what all of them are supposed to say, but here is my best deciphering of some of the things I claim to have done.

Cast on 176 stitches and did 8 increases for the shoulders (I have big shoulders), then knit one row even before setting the sleeve stitches aside just to finish the first non-ribbed green stripe before the colour change. Cast on 6 sts backward loop for the colour change.

Bust shaping: Three sets of short turn rows along the front: rows 10-11 of second purple stripe, rows 7-8 of second green stripe, rows 3-4 of third purple stripe. This was my first attempt with Japanese short rows and I liked them, but I was getting a hole on the one side, I think because I wasn’t sure what to do knitting in the round: at the second turn you actually have two extra rows vertically and I couldn’t find a way to get rid of the gap during knitting. I patched it up a bit when weaving in ends and after washing the thing, it looks okay now.

Waist shaping: Started the waist decreases (ssk when one stitch past the side marker, k2tog one stitch before marker) on row 6 of the third green stripe. I didn’t feel like the decreases in the pattern were fast enough and I calculated it out using my bust and waist measurements and decided I needed to decrease four stitches every three rounds. I thought I would need seven sets of decreases, but I stopped at six because it was getting a bit tight. I think maybe I started the decreases a few rows too early and also they were a bit fast. Would maybe go every four rows if I did it again.

Started the hip increases on row 5 of the fourth green stripe (Make 1 front one stitch after the marker and make 1 back before the marker). Other increases row 9 of the fouth green stripe and rows 4 and 8 of the fifth purple stripe.

I ran into a small problem because I’m taller than the original pattern was designed for, so I was going to have to do two extra stripes to finish with a purple before the green ribbing and I was worried that would be too long, so I only did 12 rows in the last two stripes to shorten things up a bit (could not stop nervously fiddling with the pattern. One row here, try it on, one row there, try it on) and then did 2.5 inches of ribbing on the bottom. I’m happy with that length.

Sleeves: I had 51 stitches on the holder + 11 picked up. I wanted longer arms so I knit three stripes, decreasing two stitches roughly every 6 rows:
second purple: rows 3 and 9
second green: rows 2 and 8
third purple: rows 1, 7 and 13
I went down to the smaller size needles for the ribbing, but I was still worried it wasn’t tight enough, so I actually decreased four stitches on row 16 of the ribbing, adjusting so the rib pattern stayed okay (hid the icky part on the inside of the sleeve). I would not recommend doing this, but, yeah, first sweater, nervous, fiddly, etc. Then knit 5 more rows and cast off.

So that’s it. I haven’t actually worn it around yet because I finished it just in time for 30 degree weather, but I like it except it’s maybe a bit tight in the bust and I’m worried the acrylic won’t breathe much and will make me really sweaty. But otherwise I like the yarn and it’s pretty soft after the first wash and dry. I have a bunch left, plus some in Fairy Tale, so I will probably end up ordering some more to do another sweater or something at some point when I have more money.

I’m off to my graduation. Check out today’s other FOs on Tami’s Amis.


Single Post Navigation

3 thoughts on “Enfin, Vendredi d’Achèvement: $5 in Paris

  1. Its lovely, I have this in my queue.. I keep meaning to measure myself and buy yarn for it but I am always intimidated by it for some reason. XD

  2. Lovely sweater! Love th combination of colors.

  3. Congrats on the graduation! I’m so excited for you, you made it! The sweater looks great as well. I really enjoyed knitting that pattern, but as you discovered, it was not really designed to fit anyone correctly. I sympathize with finishing a sweater in the summer, I’m having to go through the same kind of disappointment right now.

Please feel free to leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: